Literature is a versatile tool in the social studies classroom!
- An engaging picture book can provide a springboard for conceptual understanding, meaningful conversations about current issues, or further inquiry.
- Novels can be used to find excerpts to share, anchor a unit of study, or serve as enrichment/adapted activities.
- Informational texts offer a non-textbook opportunity for critical engagement with course content.
Use Grade Levels at Left to Find Examples of Literature that connects to AB SS Outcomes.
- Based on a resources completed by the Calgary Board of Education and other partners.
- Find suggestions for how the text might connect to a specific outcome.
- A link to the Original Social Studies Literature Connections Document is Below.
- Use the KEYWORDS listed to help you try new searches for current titles.