The University Archives was established at the initial stages of the institution’s birth in 1967. Retaining all records pertinent to the formation of the University was discussed in the first interim meeting of the Board of Governors in the fall of 1966. Its primary purpose is to appraise, acquire, arrange, describe, preserve, and make available records that reflect the teaching, research and service conducted at the University of Lethbridge. Recently, the archives has expanded its mandate to include fonds that have a significant connection to the institution. An example of this is the Nicolas de Grandmaison fonds.
The role of Special Collections within the University Library is to properly house, preserve, curate, and provide heightened security for non-circulating materials deemed to have qualities warranting this added attention. The collection can include rare or scarce material (books, maps, pamphlets, etc.) as well as material valuable for a myriad of other reasons. The collection includes the Dr. Robert Lampard Canadiana Special Collection which has a major focus on Canadian/Prairie books including the Champlain Society volumes dating back to 1905, the Canadian Alpine Journal and many other outstanding titles.
Both are located in the recently renovated L1172 on the upper level of the University Library.
Wendy Merkley, University Archivist
Hours: by appointment only
Phone: (403) 329‐2031 / (403) 329-2714
Mail: University of Lethbridge Archives, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta T1K 3M4