Skip to Main Content

Services for Other Graduate Students Studying at a Distance

General Information
Borrowing Privileges
Distance Library Services
Fines Payment
Access to Research Assistance
Theses and Projects
Interlibrary Loans

General Information

University of Lethbridge graduate students based on the Lethbridge campus may be eligible for extended library services if they have a temporary need for library materials while studying at a distance.  Applicants for extended library services must be enrolled in a graduate program other than the M.Ed. or Master of Counselling program for which 75% or more of their studies or coursework places them temporarily at an off-campus location that is more than 90 kilometres outside the city limits of Lethbridge.

If you wish to apply for extended library services, please have your course instructor or study supervisor submit the Extended Library Services Verification Form.

For the duration of your extended library services, when you require a circulating item listed in our discovery systems to be sent to you, please use the REQUEST button.

When you require material not owned or licensed by the University of Lethbridge Library, please use our Interlibrary Loan service. For more information, please see the Other Library Services section below.

Distance Library Services

In addition to arranging for your course instructor or study supervisor to submit a form you need for extended library services, you must also arrange to have your library privileges updated each semester.

If you are a currently registered graduate student but do not have a University of Lethbridge ID card, you will lack a CampusCard Barcode (14 digits).  In such cases, please insert a "0" into the space reserved for the barcode number.  For the field labeled "my primary campus is" please choose "UofL Distance".

Summary of Borrowing Privileges

The following borrowing guidelines apply, but please note that loan periods do not extend beyond the expiration of your borrowing privileges for the current semester:

  • 20 week loan period for Main Collection books, with 1 renewal
  • 14 day loan for audiovisual material (nonrenewable)
  • 6 week loan for Curriculum Lab items (nonrenewable)
  • Any costs incurred in returning borrowed material to the library are the borrower's responsibility
  • More borrowing information

Library Cards for Graduate Students Studying at a Distance

  • TAL Card
    • No annual fee
    • Email a request for a TAL Card application form to:
    • Provides borrowing privileges in more than 300 participating libraries (including Universities of Alberta and Calgary, Lethbridge Public Library, etc.)
    • Must be obtained from the University of Lethbridge Library before visiting participating libraries.
  • COPPUL Card
    • No annual fee
    • Email a request for a COPPUL Card to:
    • Provides reciprocal borrowing privileges in participating academic libraries across Canada
    • Must be obtained from the University of Lethbridge Library before visiting participating libraries.

Connecting to Electronic Resources

Fines Payment

All outstanding fines must be paid in full before library privileges are updated.
Fines payment may be made by:

  • using Internet or telephone banking (enter your University ID number as the Account number)
  • paying in person at the Calgary Campus Office
  • mailing a cheque to:
    Cash Office
    University of Lethbridge
    4401 University Drive
    Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4
    (Please make cheque payable to the University of Lethbridge)

Access to Research Assistance

Ask Us
Subject Librarians
Research Guides
Copyright Information
Database Alert Services
EndNote Guide
Persistent Links - FAQs

Theses and Projects

  • To locate theses or projects completed at the University of Lethbridge, search the Library Catalogue Title index for "thesis University of Lethbridge" or "project University of Lethbridge".

Interlibrary Loans

Interlibrary service is dependent on where you live.

Distance Students who are living within Alberta and at least 90 km outside of Lethbridge may request both types of Interlibrary Loans (e.g. books or journal articles).

Journal articles are sent electronically to your email address.  You must return all other library loans to the University of Lethbridge Library by their due dates using the same delivery methods we used to send them to you (e.g., Canada Post, private courier, etc.).

The Library may restrict requests only to Canadian locations.

Distance Students who are living outside of Alberta and Canada may request copies of journal articles or chapters of books which will be sent electronically to your email address.

The Library is unable to offer Interlibrary Loan services involving other libraries’ books because the borrowing time granted by other institutions is insufficient for sending, using and returning materials.

For these students, the Library is happy to provide you with library cards permitting direct use of libraries in your area. For more information on these cards, see the section above: Library Cards for Graduate Students Studying at a Distance.

Unfortunately, these cards (the TAL Card and the COPPUL Card) are not valid outside of Canada. In some cases libraries outside of Canada may request a formal letter from us requesting library services on your behalf. Please contact us if you require this kind of documentation outside of Canada.

Bookmark and Share