"Nothing about us without us."
- Marie Battiste (in MacDonald, 2017)
Before embarking on a research project in Indigenous Studies, it is important to think about the reasons for your research and the materials you choose to use. Some questions you should ask:
- Who wrote the resource you have selected? What is their worldview?
- What is the purpose of the resource? Of your research?
- Who benefits from this research and/or resource?
- When was the resource created?
- Was the resource created in consultation with Indigenous communities or individuals?
- How was the information gathered? Why was it gathered?
- Who owns the research and the rights to the research?